Monday, September 3, 2012

// // Leave a Comment

Drug Commercials


Why do they advertise prescription drugs on television?

They want me to ask my doctor if they are right for me. But if I have to recommend a drug to my doctor, I don’t think I want to take it. I feel like it would be an uncomfortable conversation anyway: “Here I wrote you a prescription”... “Oh no, not that one. I was actually hoping to go with the one I heard about when I was watching the game last night – I really love their commercials.”

And why do they feel the need to tell you all the bad stuff about the drug within the commercial? Like when was the last time you saw a commercial for a P&G product that had some guy on roller blades skating through Miami with some creepy voice telling you all the bad things that could happen to you if you use it? I'm like, "hold on, let me grab a notepad so I can't write all this down". It's really bad marketing. I could take a drug for my anxiety that could potentially lead to kidney malfunction, urinary tract disorders, lung problems and in "rare cases" death. Really? I thought that pill was supposed to help clear up my anxiety? It would seem to me that it would either 1) make me more anxious or 2) make me distinctly unaware of the impending death I am facing by taking it. Either way, I'll try something else.


I saw one for “Cymbalta” the other day and they didn't say a single good thing about it during the entire 12 minute commercial. Not a great marketing campaign for an anti-depressant. But hey, if you want to be able to throw a Frisbee with your dog ever again, it's probably your only choice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment